The area

The 5.5 hectare area of the Werkbundsiedlung Wiesenfeld is situated at the Western edge of Munich‘s Schwabing-West district. To the north it is bounded by the Schwere-Reiter-Straße (which forms an arc at this point), to the east by the Infanteriestraße, to the south by the premises of the Barbara church and to the west by the final section of the Heßstraße that is closed to traffic. The distance to downtown Munich is 2.5 km.

Aside from the official allocation, the site can be described as a barely definable “no-man’s-land” between the districts Neuhausen, Olympiapark, Schwabing and the neighboring- Maxvorstadt. Since the end of the 19th century until its closing in the 1990s, it was the site of the Luitpold barracks. A building erected in 1896 housed the aeronautical department of the Bavarian army and was thus in close proximity to the flying grounds Oberwiesenfeld (today’s Olympiapark). Previously there had been gardens, established around 1790 by chancellery and commercial counselor Dominikus von Schwaiger, who gave the newly developed site the name “Wiesenfeld” (“field of meadows”).
This original designation seemed particularly appropriate to us for the present project due to its value-neutral semantics and its historical authenticity.


The state capital of Munich purchased the area in 2004 from the Federal Republic of Germany. The Northern section accommodates six former barracks, including the above-mentioned brick building classified as a historical monument, which are already used by companies in the field of new media/communication. The buildings in the Southern section, currently occupied by a technical college of the federal army, will be vacated by the end of 2006, the apartments of the Werkbundsiedlung rising in their place.

WebCam Olympiaturm